Creatively Rebuilding Downtown Belleville
Divided into 8 groups we creatively came up with ideas to solve the problem. How did we get creative? Some groups painted their solution, others wrote a poem and some scoured magazines to make a collage.
Despite the different mediums used, the messages remained the same:
1) Keep it clean: Belleville needs to keep the streets clean and work on adding trees, flowers to improve the downtown landscape
2) Keep it clean: Belleville needs to get rid of the criminal drug use and prostitution, as was mention in all groups
3) Build it and they will come: The downtown lacks any great retail stores, there is no hook. It also lacks any middle class night scene, which would create traffic downtown and drive away the illegal trade happening.
4) Enforcement: Security and police need to enforce the area in order to make the improvements last
5) Work together: Downtown merchants, citizens and councillors need to work together as a community. Are the businesses rivals? Yes. But that shouldn’t stop them from promoting each other. Working together will make the downtown better which will improve traffic and increase sales.
If downtown enacts these improvements and sticks with them, it is sure to succeed.
While playing with play-doh, paint, scissors and glue might seem like child’s play, it spurned our creativity and created an easy way to revitalize downtown Belleville.